Monday, January 10, 2011

Food Is Love

"Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon or not at all." ~ Harriet Van Horn


Although my appearance (big tits and tattoos, black hair and tight clothes) isn't necessarily southern by nature - unless of course you count the town tramp - there is no mistaking that I am a true girl of the South once you get close enough. Aside from my Southern drawl, if my cowboy boots, ball caps and torn jeans don't give you you a clue, then my cooking will. The things I love to eat, I also love to cook and I tend to cook for a small army, something trained into me thanks to being from a large country family who came together weekly over Sunday dinners that lasted all day. 


My mom has several things that she cooks very well, but she's not fond of cooking. If she cooks now, it's either that she's taken a notion that she wants one of those things that are her specialty or she's attending a party or dinner where she either feels obliged to bring food or has been asked specifically to bring one of her dishes. My dad honestly cooks as much as she does now, the torch of everyday cooking passed to him when my brother and I moved out. Sunday dinners were at her mom's, where she and most of her 7 sisters always ended up bringing along copious amounts of food to add to what Grammaw was all ready cooking, and it was always a fairly standard country meal served on a mix-matched collection of melamine. Those meals may have been - fried chicken, macaroni & cheese, hoe cakes, potato salad, green beans cooked in bacon grease, deviled eggs, chocolate pies, etc. My dad's family had dinners once a month when someone had a birthday and on holidays. There were usually foods, though still Southern, that seemed "fancy" to me and we always ate from one of Grandma's matched sets of dishes. Her meals were more like - spiral cut ham, sweet potato casserole topped with a brown sugar and pecan crust, baby gherkin pickles from the cellar, white corn, rolls, and red velvet cakes.


Neither side of my family was really the huggy-feelie type. The words "I love you" weren't said much at all. But there was always kinship and sharing around the food. There was no mistaking amidst the chatter, laughter and sound of dishes in the sink that love was all around.


As I've moved through the last 20 years of my life, food was a constant. Meals with friends and family, trying new foods outside of my traditional Southern fare, the glorious introduction of the Food Network, and a lack of other hobbies to ignite my passions all lead to a confidence in the kitchen. (Even when I was lacking confidence in other things.) However for the purpose of actually writing down a recipe, that confidence is a problem. I'm unafraid to try new things, I taste test and taste test as I cook. I add seasonings, I alter recipes to suit my taste, I often throw things together last minute to create a meal. Probably the only things I don't play around with are baking such things as cakes and cheesecakes. Just because I haven't played in the kitchen with those nearly as much - although I do like playing with traditionally high fat desserts to find a healthier version. I just don't know the "science" behind baking to completely invent recipes.
(*Note to Self: Learn!!)


I can't say my cooking is what sold my handsome, younger husband on me, but I know it didn't hurt. As a bonus, my son has taken an interest in cooking. We have something to really bond over now. He's spent most of his years as an incredibly picky eater, but since he's heard the hubby rave over my meals and I've been getting him to help me prep the meals, his eating habits are slowly improving, he's even eating the cooked options in sushi restaurants (one of our favorite treats), and we talk as we cook. 


I struggled a bit with the title of my blog - mainly because all of the best ideas that I and friends came up with were all ready being used. But if you think about it, this works well. Cooking was one of the few passions I never gave up on, I love cooking for my husband and surprising him with meals, and it's definitely sparking up my relationship with my soon to be teen-aged son. Sometimes I spend all day in the kitchen cooking. I often heat up my meals with spices, it definitely heats up the house when I go on one of my all day cooking jags, and  whenever I post pics of my dishes on Facebook the interaction on my page heats up. So here it is...my new blog, Heating Things Up !! 


I'll share my family recipes and my own, recipes I love to make (giving credit where it's due and noting any tweaking I do) and my son will be helping out with the blog suggesting things even picky eaters will enjoy. We'll add pics and videos too and our favorite outdoor recipes as well.


Now to decide where to start...........












1 comment:

  1. Very good recipe. I shall try it. My background of cooking started in 1970 when I stayed in Hawaii after Viet Nam I began as a 3rd cook at the Sheraton Waikiki, a landmark hotel as far back as the 30's. I worked my way up in position and went to the Diamond Head Hilton where I attained the position of 1rst chef. Worked many places in the states and worked as 1rst chef at Tino's Laposada in the Camelback Mt, area of Phoenix. It was there I learned to cook Italian and that was my specialty from then on.

    I love to cook for the women I "date", fix them their fave meal in front of their eyes.

    I will frequent your blog a lot, Kelley, and may contribute a recipe or two for you to try as well.

    I wish you the best in this. Keep the shiny side up and be safe.

    LLH&R
    Terry Lee

    ReplyDelete